Master of Science in Criminology and Criminal Justice – How to Apply
The purpose of the Master of Science in Criminology & Criminal Justice program is to provide graduate level learning opportunities to students interested in advancing their knowledge in the areas of criminological theory and administrative theory as applied to the criminal justice system. Students may advance their skills and knowledge in research in applied aspects of criminology and criminal justice. With guidance from faculty, students may select courses from an array of electives to satisfy their academic and career goals.
If you are considering applying to FAU, we recommend reading through each of the steps, and the detailed explanation of each step before starting with the application process.
Once you have been accepted for admission into the university, it is strongly recommeded that you contact your academic advisor and faculty advisor to assist you before you register for classes. Contacts for this program can be found below.
Applying for the Master of Science in Criminology & Criminal Justice degree consists of 3 simple steps:
Complete The Application
Click here to complete and submit your online application. Along with you application, you will also submit the following documents within the application system:
- A personal statement explaining the potential student’s interest in the program and reasons for applying.
- An academic writing sample. This should be either an original research paper (e.g., documenting original data collection, statistical analysis, and discussion of findings) or a literature review (e.g., a review or argument paper based on peer reviewed journal articles, NOT newspaper articles or websites). The paper should be between 5 and 20 pages and should use APA formatting for the in text citations and bibliography. This is mandatory for the application, so if you don’t have a writing sample that meets the above criteria, you should contact Dr. Atkin-Plunk at email@example.com for direction in writing one (i.e., she will provide some guidance and resources on which to base your writing sample).
- A current resume.
The GRE is NOT required for admission; however, if a student does not have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher in the last 60 hours of work attempted at the undergraduate level, the applicant can submit his/her score on the Graduate Record Exam to be considered (only GRE scores from within the last 5 years will be accepted). A GRE score of over 300 may help the applicant’s prospects for acceptance.
An international student is required to achieve a minimum score of 550 (CBT-213) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Send Official Transcripts
Request that one official transcript from the Registrar of each college or university you have attended (except FAU) be sent directly to the Graduate College. This can be done electronically or by mail.
FAU Graduate College
777 Glades Road
SU80, Room 101
Boca Raton, FL 33431
If you are an international student, please refer to this website http://www.fau.edu/graduate/applyonline/international.php or contact the Graduate College (561) 297-3624.
Stay In Touch With Us
- Complete online application by February 1st.
- Submit the letter of interest, resume, and writing sample along with the application (note that the application can not be submitted and will remain incomplete until ALL three documents are submitted. Thus, all materials MUST be submitted before the appropriate due date to be considered for that semester).
- Submit transcripts to the Graduate College.
- Staying in contact with the Admissions Office will help us serve your needs throughout the application and enrollment process.
firstname.lastname@example.org or call us:
Main telephone number: (561) 297-3040
Fax number: (561) 297-2758
For any questions regarding the Master of Science in Criminology & Criminal Justice degree program, please contact Dr. Cassandra Atkin-Plunk (Graduate Coordinator) at email@example.com.
For questions about advising, please contact the College Advising Center at 561-297-2316.